Students applying for admission to the College of Engineering are centrally admitted by the Deanship of Admission and Registration, King Khalid University. The new applicants are not accepted directly to the Bachelor of Science in industrial Engineering program but they must complete one year in the Preparatory Year Program (PYP) -1st Year. University Council decides the number of students to be admitted for each academic year according to the recommendation of college council. The deanship of admissions and registration implements all policies in liaison with the college of engineering. Admission takes place only twice a year in the beginning of the academic year (1st Semester).
Requirements of admission to the Bachelor of Science in industrial Engineering program:
1) Secondary School Certificate (Natural Sciences) or its equivalent from inside or outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
2) Score of “Entrance Examination” based on an aptitude test and a subject test. The test is conducted by the National Centre for Assessment in Higher Education, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It consists of two sections. The first section is General Aptitude Test (QIYAS). This test measures a student's analytical and deductive skills. It focuses on testing the student's capacity for learning in general regardless of any specific skill in a certain subject or topic. The other section is called “Achievement test for Science Colleges (TEHSILI)”. This section covers the general and key concepts in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and English covered in the courses of the three years of General Secondary School.
3) Character certificate from the Secondary School.
4) Appearance in interviews required by the university council.
5) Physical fitness certificate.
6) Permission from the employer (For employed candidates).
7) No record of suspension/rustication from King Khalid University (KKU) or any other university.
All the above conditions are mandatory for admission to be fulfilled by the applicants. A merit list of all applicants is prepared by the Deanship of Admissions and Registration on the basis of the following three types of scores;
- Secondary school certificate score (30%).
- Aptitude test score (30%).
- Achievement test score (40%).
Applicants are offered admissions in a college of their preferences on the basis of merit list subject to the availability of seats. Once seats are filled in a particular college, the admission to that particular college is closed and remaining students have to make their choices from other colleges. All freshly admitted students to the College of Engineering seeking acceptance to the Bachelor of Science in industrial Engineering program spend their first academic year in the PYP.
The major objectives of PYP program are
- To improve the students' English language proficiency because this is the principal language of instruction in college of engineering.
- To ensure the students‟ abilities to communicate effectively
- To strengthen the students‟ knowledge in mathematical and analytical techniques and calculus-based physics.
- To develop computer skills of the students.
The duration of the PYP is for one academic year, divided into two semesters, as well as a summer semester, if required. The PYP represents the first two semesters of the Bachelor of Science in industrial Engineering program. The complete program comprise of 10 levels covering over a period of five (5) years. The courses offered in PYP are Intensive English program I, General Chemistry, Differentiation and Integration I, Engineering Drawing I, Intensive to Islamic Culture, Intensive English Program II, Analysis and Algebra, Physics I and Computer Science. Based on their performance in the PYP, and in accordance with the implementation rules, students will be able to select the major of their choice. An orientation session is held during the second semester of PYP for students to learn about all programs in the engineering college to help them select the program that suits them the most. 7
On successful completion of the PYP, the performance of students seeking admission to the Bachelor of Science in industrial Engineering program is evaluated based on the GPA in the PYP. A merit list of these students is prepared and the department accepts the allocated number of students from the merit list.
1) Student graduates after successfully completing all graduation requirements according to the degree plan, provided that his cumulative GPA is not less than pass.
2) If the student has passed the required courses but his cumulative GPA is low, the College Council, on the basis of the recommendations of the council of the department concerned, is entitled to specify the appropriate courses that the student must complete in order to improve his GPA.